Hi! I’m Ellen.
Welcome to Uncommon Writer – the well-being blog for anyone who’s curious about how someone with no natural talent for balance (me) seeks to live better, smarter, kinder and closer to nature.
I’m a website fancier, content marketing advocate and copy-editing queen. I’m a Web Content Coordinator by day, book-lover and writer by night.
My spare time is devoted to my husband and my dog, fabulous friends and family, and my interests: natural living, spirituality, Somerset crystals, henna, food, paganism, blogging and blogs.
I’ve also been known to do a bit of freelance writing, editing and designing. Find me on LinkedIn for articles on small business marketing.
Some of my work
This was a great collaboration. Jenny and Nick provided their amazing knowledge on healthier living, and I tweaked the copy and put together e-books for their site. I learned so much about balance, nutrition and health.
- Supplement Wisdom (open the PDF)
- Nourishing Food Guide (open the PDF)
- Health Wisdom Essentials (sign up for the PDF)
From fashion to falconry, health to haulage, I’ve written for a broad range of industries and adapted my style to suit. I’m happiest when working with food and well-being companies, alternative lifestyle brands and micro-businesses.
- Look What We Made: Imbolc Wedding Cloaks
- 5 Ways to Give Your Home a Botanical Facelift
- Your Small Business Online Marketing Checklist for 2017
- Our Guide to Yule Magic
- Phew – it’s Imbolc already!
- What Harry Potter Can Teach Us About ‘Real’ Witchcraft
- How to Get What You Want When You Want It: Magical Manifestation
- 10 Signs You’re a Closet Pagan
- Paganism to Be Taught in Schools – but Will It Benefit Pagans?
- Your autumn/winter 2016 guide is here!
- 6 of the best autumn beauty looks to fall for this season
- How to wear crop tops
- Spring workwear 2014: 10 great links to inspire you
I have a BA (Hons) in Creative Writing with English Literature from Bath Spa University. At Uni, I liked creative writing workshops best of all. That critical eye still helps me today. I can see the best in a piece of writing, story, or book, and reveal it to the world. I also love hunting for (and slaying) mistakes in consistency, grammar and formatting.
- Faerie Forest: An Exploration of the Folklore and Faeries Surrounding Seven Magical Trees by Ceri Norman
“Makes you want to read on”
“Ellen has been a monumental support to me during my journey of setting up my business. Not only does she write so well, she is totally reliable and goes above and beyond, constantly putting you in the right direction in regards to social media and marketing. She has a way with writing that makes you want to read on and on and captures exactly what you’re trying to put across. I’m so glad I found Ellen.” – Milla Lascelles
“Increased my business”
“Very talented and fabulous creative woman! She has been so helpful and through her creativeness increased my business. I would certainly recommend her. Thank you for all your help.” – Georgina Sirett-Armstrong-Smith
“Professional, approachable and talented”
“I was delighted with my stunning website. I wrote a few pieces, chose some colours and had a friendly chat, and hey presto, a magical website was produced. I still love it a year later and wouldn’t change a thing about it. I would highly recommend Ellen. She is professional, approachable and talented. A winning combination.” – Teagan Craig
“Amazing at her craft”
“She’s so amazing at her craft that I would move her to the opposite side of the planet to work for me full time.” – Anara Durand
“Clever product references”
“Ellen, thank you for this. As always it’s excellent; love the clever product references. Many Thanks.” – Mark Black